Thursday, July 28, 2011

Southend-On-Sea

On Tuesday Eli and I took the kiddies to the beach.  We figured since it was our last week in England we would try to swing it.  We took the train to Southend-On-Sea, which is a small resort town on the coast about two hours away in Essex.  We had a great time, but I now know why England is not famous for its beaches!  As you can see from the photos below, it is NOT the most picturesque piece of coast. 

The kids made the most of it though.  We had a picnic lunch on the beach then Ryan and Amaya played in the water for about an hour.  Eli and I had no desire to get in the water.  I didn't even stick my feet in.  Too many pebbles and seaweed.  Yuck!  You may or may not know, but I'm absolutely terrified of seaweed.  I think it's some sea monster trying to drown me or something.

Once the kids had enough of the ocean, we walked down to the pier area where they have a small theme park.  It's called Adventure Island and it was a lot like the Santa Cruz Boardwalk...without the sun.  We went on all the rides, several of them more than once, and just had a great time.  Eli and I were thankful for the theme park.  It would not have been worth a 2 hour train ride without it.

Like I said, not the most beautiful beach.

Ryan and Amaya tuckered out after swimming.

Southend-on-Sea Pier in the distance.  It's the longest in the world!

Eli being Eli.

No comments:

Post a Comment