Thursday, July 28, 2011

Saying Goodbye to Amy

I've always been a big fan of Amy Winehouse.  I was greatly saddened by the news of her death.  Though she lived quite the wild life, I was still shocked when she died.  We were in Paris when it happened.  Now that we're back in London I really wanted to find her house and leave her some flowers and a note. 

I found out where she lived and on Tuesday I dragged Eli and the kids out to Camden Town to find her house.  After a bit of trouble (we took a wrong turn out of the tube station) we found it.  I was amazed by the scene.  There were lots of fans out there, but what amazed me was the number of gifts left there.  So many flowers, cards, pictures, bottles of beer wine and other alcohol, cigarettes and candles.  It was honestly a beautiful tribute.

It was sad, but I'm glad I went.  Ryan thought I was crazy to go.  The kid could not understand why anyone would leave flowers at "some dead person's house".  I tried to explain to him that sometimes we could love people that we've never met and that since her fans couldn't go to her funeral, it was our way of saying goodbye.  He could kind of understand that, but he still thought I was crazy.

I took some pictures and video of the house and all the gifts.  It should give you some idea of what it was like.

Amy's house in Camden Town, London

Messages to Amy on the street sign in front of her house

The flowers I left for Amy

An example of all the beer people left

No comments:

Post a Comment